Saturday, January 31, 2009

Looking for Love : Seeking the One


A Valentine Special of the Philippine Star
Looking for Love : Seeking the One



By Nathalie Adele Tomada
February 14, 2004


Excerpt

“Many come to me to know what the future holds for their love life,” admits Julius, a Tarot and I-Ching Reader who does sessions in classy Monsoon Restaurant in Linden Suites in Ortigas for the month of February.

An architect by profession, this half-Vietnamese, half-Filipino clarifies he is no fortune-teller. He got interested in palmistry at a very young age. By the time he reache 14, he was tagged by adults, impressed by his rare talent, as the “little prophet”. His passion had earned him an invitation to join the Oa Seekers’ Cove, a Tarot-Reading and Counseling Center, that holds sessions in malls and hotels.

Some people say that in every divination there is a grain of common sense. But what about truth? Whether you believe or not, Julius shares that just by reading palms he has discovered well-guarded secrets of high-heeled women and even closet stories of the most manly men.

Julius proceeds to study both of my palms and explains that the active hand, the one used for writing, will show where you are likely headed while the inactive hand shows where you have been passive.

It’s not difficult to realize that one attraction of a reading of your future is that touch of drama. It may be through all-the way theatrics: a grim-faced, husky manghuhula with gypsy attire and a crystal ball to boot. Or it could be as subtle as how Julius takes a long look at you, then writes down your name and lights a candle to illuminate the rather dim, private corner of the restaurant.

He speaks low and puts on a concerned expression as he stops to listen when you’re in the mood to confide. I had to quip he’d make a good shrink.

Julius does palmistry and combines it with Tarot reading. He explains that palmistry, which is best done in the morning when you have not eaten anything thus making the lines clearer, is said for reading important events in your lifetime. The Tarot, on the other hand, is used to specify dates.

He points out my heart line (the one line that starts from under the Mount of mercury reaching under the index finger and the Mount of Jupiter that’s said to determine the existence of a love life or the lack there of) and sees a relationship coming in the nearest future. And before my imagination runs away with romantic illusions of a tall, dark and brooding stranger, he unwraps a silk handkerchief to draw good vibrations, and unveils a deck of crisp Tarot cards. He asks that I think of something that concerns me at the moment then cut the cards in three. The ominous card of Death reveals itself – but it doesn’t mean what you think.

“It means transformation. It means that you have to…” But I cut him short and tell him yes , there’s one thing that I wanted to transform in my life, etc., etc., - taking care of the ‘fortune-telling’ for him. Other cards cover other areas in my life , but honestly not too much crop up on love life (whatever your concerns at the time of the reading will show in the cards, he says) so I ask for a special reading. He instructs me to select four cards from the upside-down ones and, amazingly, as unexpected as an afterthought, on the fourth and final card the Lovers Card surfaces. I don’t know what it has to do with the timeline, but he says mysteriously, “In three to four months something’s going to happen…”

Julius punctuates our reading that I am still the captain of my fate – and perhaps, writer of my own love story. But for the meantime, when someone asks, I’ll know what to say: whether it would take three months or a lifetime – I know The One is coming and I don’t mind waiting.  

(This excerpt was lifted from a feature article written by Nathalie Adele Tomada for Philippine Star’s Valentine Special published in February 14, 2004.)

No comments: